Tuesday, June 15, 2010

1/4 Polish


On my fathers side of the family through my grandma everyone is polish.  And after this past weekend I discovered a lot about my family that I never even knew.  Back track for a minute, this all started about a year ago my aunt starting doing research on the family and every time she comes up she always has something new to tell us about the family and I always find it so fascinating to learn where exactly I came from.  Anyways back to my weekend of discovering my heritage, I found out that this side of my family is actually new to America, and that I still have family over in Poland that I could go visit one day.  You see the only family that I had come over here were my great grandparents the rickly's and my cousins the Visnieski's, they arrived in the late 1920's and ended up here in Oklahoma.  I am still amazed that I have family in Poland and to be honest its definitely inspired me to want to learn more about my family, maybe even learn how to speak polish, because I have always wanted to visit Poland just because that is where a big part of my family is from and I know by going there I could learn even more about my family heritage.  Also being able to speak the language wouldn't hurt either especially if I end up meeting the other half of my family.

6 comments:

  1. Thats really cool, I always love discovering new thing about fam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm half Italian on my father's side, and I learned a lot about the family from my aunt (92 years old in August) when I was younger. I sure hope she had the forethought to write stuff about her family down, because if she didn't, it will be lost when she eventually passes away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great discovery. It's a big thick book, but James Michener's novel "Poland" will give you a lot of history aboutthe country, up through the Soviet occupation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This kinda stuff is fascinating. Have you tried ancesty.com? I tried their 2 week trial a few months back. I learned some interesting stuff going back to about 1850 Finland, but had to give it up before the free trial ran out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Step that is amazing I hope your able to found out more on your family especially through your aunt before she passes! And thank you for the suggested reading Dr. Clark thick or not I know ill probably read the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy- actually my aunt is the one who has been doing that she started out with ancestry.com and has moved to the point of extreme reseaching shes even taken a class for it lol so she already has so much information because I thought about doing that but all I have to do is call her and she can tell me so much.

    ReplyDelete